for my birthday a few weeks ago, i made a raw vegan raspberry cheesecake from my favorite food blogger my new roots. yes i made my own birthday cake. i actually insisted because since i’ve been a raw vegan, i haven’t had many opportunities to bake and i was missing it from all the baking i did in new zealand. and the best part is i could actually eat this! so it was a win-win… anyways, though this cake was made with all natural, healthy ingredients, it was better than any cheesecake i’ve ever had. the secret ingredient is soaked cashews which makes it extra creamy without any animal products. so without further adieu, here’s the recipe for this delicious yumminess
raw cashew dreamcake
original recipe found here
1/2 cup raw almonds (pecan or walnuts will also work)
1/2 cup soft Medjool dates
¼ tsp. sea salt
1 ½ cups raw cashews, soaked for at least 5 hours, overnight is best
juice of 2 lemons
the seeds of 1 whole vanilla bean
1/3 cup melted raw coconut oil
1/3 cup agave nectar
1 cup raspberries (thaw completely if using frozen)
1. Place nuts and dates in a food processor with sea salt and pulse to chop until they are to your desired fineness (process a finer crust longer than a chunky one). Test the crust by spooning out a small amount of mixture and rolling it in your hands. If the ingredients hold together, your crust is perfect. Scoop out crust mixture in a 7” spring-form pan (if you don’t have a spring-form pan, use a pie plate lined with saran wrap), and press firmly, making sure that the edges are well packed and that the base is relatively even throughout. Rinse food processor well.
2. Warm coconut oil and honey in a small saucepan on low heat until liquid. Whisk to combine.
3. In the most powerful food processor / blender you own (you decide which one has the most torque) place all filling ingredients (except raspberries) and blend on high until very smooth (this make take a couple minutes so be patient). If you have a Vita-Mix, absolutely use it.
4. Pour about 2/3 (just eyeball it, you can’t make a mistake!) of the mixture out onto the crust and smooth with a spatula. Add the raspberries to the remaining filling and blend on high until smooth. Pour onto the first layer of filling. Place in freezer until solid.
5. To serve, remove from freezer 30 minutes prior to eating. Run a smooth, sharp knife under hot water and cut into slices. Serve on its own, or with fresh fruit. Store leftovers in the freezer.